This is a great time of year to focus on strengthening relationships. One of the best ways to do this is being mindful about what we love about the other person and why we’re grateful to have them in our lives. While writing this list of things I love about my husband, I found that my love for him really grew. It was such a simple thing to do, but made a big difference in how I see him.
30 Things I Love About My Husband:
- He is a very loving father to our four precious children.
- He is awesome at human resource management and has a great career.
- He cares deeply about all people.
- He has a darling, infectious laugh.
- He is a great soccer player and is an awesome coach for our kids’ teams.
- He has a talent for cooking without a recipe and throwing ingredients together in a yummy way.
- He single-handedly made me a fan of blues music.
- He expresses appreciation to me and others often for the things we do.
- He gives great hugs.
- He thinks about what he is going to say before he says it.
- He’s a great fly-fisherman.
- He likes to hike and enjoy nature.
- He follows through in his commitments to others.
- He can speak Portuguese and loves the Brazilian people.
- He willingly looks for and jumps at opportunities to serve others.
- He is very sensitive and gentle.
- He (usually) does the dishes after dinner.
- He is very generous and giving, especially when it’s a cause he cares about.
- When he cleans the house, he is amazingly deep and thorough.
- He stays connected with friends and family.
- He is unfailingly honest.
- He changes diapers.
- His chocolate-brown eyes can make me melt.
- He is conscious about what he spends money on.
- He has great taste and valuable input in decorating our home.
- He has always been respectful toward his mom and sister, which is actually one of the first things that attracted me to him.
- He is really fun to be around. (When he’s not stressed, anyway!)
- He is a great planner and is detail-oriented.
- He is a people-watcher and “gets” people.
- He is a great example to our boys of the kind of man to grow up to be and to our daughter of the kind of man to seek one day.
I could have gone way past 30, but you get the idea. Valentine’s Day is a great time to try an exercise like this, but it’s good to do any time of the year, especially when in one of those ruts of relationship negativity. You could also write down one thing every day that you love about your partner, which habit will prime your brain to look for and be aware of more positive things about him or her.
Whenever possible, share what you wrote with the other person, or shout it to the world, like I’ve done here! It made me feel so good when he wrote this list about me last year and posted it to Facebook:
On her birthday, here are 29 reasons why I love my wife:
1. She rocks (as in her great taste in music)
2. She loves me even when I do dumb things
3. She has such beautiful eyes
4. She is great at expressing her thoughts and feelings through her writing
5. She is better than anyone I know at finding a good deal on things we need
6. She helps our kids learn by getting out and exploring their world
7. She deeply cares about her friends and family
8. She gives a great back massage
9. She has a great drive for learning
10. She is very conscious about providing healthy food to her family
11. She loves the outdoors
12. She started her own business this last year
13. She strives to increase and improve her spirituality
14. She loves to explore new and different foods with me
15. She has put up with me for over 10 years
16. She is good at recording the cute and funny things our kids do
17. She is very empathetic and caring
18. She has a gorgeous smile
19. She supports me in both my wins and failures
20. She has caught a fish on a fly rod
21. She is committed to helping others improve themselves
22. She loves making her own sushi and sharing with friends
23. She helps keep me in check and remembering what is important
24. She likes staying fit and exercising
25. She helps me feel loved every day
26. She has a passion for traveling
27. Have I mentioned how beautiful she is?
28. She is great at serving others when they are in need
29. She is the best friend and wife I could ever ask for and I feel extremely grateful to have her in my life
When he saw that I had literally one-upped him when he read what I was writing tonight, he said “Game on.” I think I know what that means, and I like it!
Happy Valentine’s Day!